NO. 8 - FROM A BEAR HUG (FRONT, ARMS FREE)
are gripped around the waist (Fig. 31).
- Place your left hand in the small of his back and apply a chin
jab, as in Fig. 32.
If necessary, knee him in the testicles.
NO. 9 - FROM A BEAR HUG (BACK, OVER THE ARMS)
You are gripped around the chest (Fig. 33).
- If you are wearing a helmet, smash your opponent in the face
- Stamp on his feet with either foot.
- 3. Seize him by the testicles with your right or left hand.
NO. 9A-FROM A BEAR HUG (BACK. OVER THE ARMS) Alternative Release
are gripped around the chest (Fig. 33).
- Seize your opponent's testicles with your left hand (causing
him to break his hold).
- Pass your right arm over his right (Fig. 34).
- Slip out from under his arm by turning to your left and stepping
backwards with your right foot, seizing his right wrist with both
hands and jerking it downwards.
Finish up by kicking him in the face (Fig. 35).
NO. 10 - FROM A BEAR HUG (BACK, ARMS FREE)
are gripped around the chest (Fig. 36).
- If you are wearing a helmet, smash your opponent's face with
- Stamp on his feet with either foot.
- Seize his little finger with your right hand, bend it back-wards,
and walk out of the hold (Fig. 37).
NO. 11 - FROM A HAIR HOLD (BACK)
You are seized by the hair from behind and pulled back, as in Fig.
- With both hands, seize your opponent's right wrist and arm
with a very firm grip, making him keep the hold shown in Fig.
- Turn to your left (inwards, towards your opponent) by pivoting
on your left foot. This will twist his arm.
- Step backwards as far as possible with your right foot, jerking
his hand off your head in a downward and backward direction between
your legs (Fig. 40).
Note. - It is possible that this will tear quite a bit of your
hair out by the roots, but it is very unlikely that you will notice
it at the time.
- Keep a firm grip on his wrist and arm, and follow up with a
smashing kick to your opponent's face with the toe of your right
Note A. - All the above movements must be one rapid and continuous
Note B. - When in the position shown in Fig. 40, you can increase
the force of your kick to the face by pulling your opponent's arm
slightly upwards and towards you. This movement also enables you
to get back on balance.
NO. 12 - THUMB HOLD
This is the most effective hold known, and very little exertion
on your part (three to four pounds' pressure) is required to make
even the most powerful prisoner obey you. It is possible also for
you to conduct him, even if resisting, as far as he is able to walk.
You have such complete control of him that you can, if necessary,
use him as cover against attack from others.
movements you have to make to secure this hold are very complicated,
which is mainly the reason why it is almost unknown outside of the
Far East. But the advantage one gains in knowing that he can effectively
apply this hold more than repays for the time that must be spent
in mastering it.
First concentrate on making every move slowly, gradually speeding
up until all movements become one continuous motion. When you have
thoroughly mastered the hold, then learn to secure it from any position
in which you have secured your opponent.
It should be understood that this hold is not a method of attack,
but simply a "mastering hold," which is applied only after
you have partially disabled or brought your opponent to a submissive
frame of mind by one of the "follow up" methods (BLOWS).
Should your opponent not be wearing a helmet or similar pro-tection
which covers his cars, the following will be found to be a very
simple method of making him submissive:
Cup your hands and strike your opponent simultaneously over both
ears (Fig. 41). This will probably burst one or both ear drums and
at least give him a mild form of concussion. It can be applied from
the front or from behind.
NO. 12 - THUMB HOLD (cont.)
facing your opponent and slightly to his left.
- Insert your right thumb between the thumb and forefinger of
his left hand, your fingers under the palm of his hand, your thumb
to the right (Fig. 42).
- Seize his left elbow with your left hand, knuckles to the right,
and thumb outside and close to your own forefingers (Fig. 43).
- Step in towards your opponent; at the same time, turn your
body so that you are facing in the same direction, simultaneously
forcing his left forearm up across his chest and towards his left
shoulder by pulling his elbow with your left hand over your right
forearm and forcing upwards with your right hand (Fig. 44).
Release the hold with your left hand just as soon as you have
pulled his elbow over your right forearm, and hold your oppo-nent's
left elbow very close to your body.
- Keeping a firm grip on the upper part of his left arm with
your right arm, immediately seize the fingers of his left hand
with your left. This will prevent him from trying to seize one
of the fingers of your right hand and also give you an extra leverage
for applying pressure as follows:
- Press down on the back of his hand towards your left-hand side
with your right hand. Should your opponent be a very-powerful
man and try to resist, a little extra pressure applied by pulling
his fingers downwards towards your left-hand side with your left
hand will be sufficient to bring him up on his toes and convince
him that he has met his master (Fig. 45).