NO. 4 - KNEE
blow can be delivered only when you are very close to your opponent.
- Putting the weight of your body on one leg, bend the knee of
the other by drawing your heel slightly backwards, and drive your
knee quickly upwards into your opponent's testicles (Fig. 13).
Note. - This blow is frequently used to bring your opponent into
a more favorable position for applying the chin jab (Fig. 14).
NO. 5 - FROM A WRIST HOLD (ONE HAND)
- You are seized by the right wrist, as in Fig. 15. Bend your
wrist and arm towards your body, twisting your wrist outwards
against your opponent's thumb (Fig. 16).
Note A. - This must be accomplished with one rapid and continuous
Note B. - No matter with which hand your opponent seizes either
of your wrists, the important thing to remember is to tioist your
wrist against his thumb.
NO. 5A - FROM A WRIST HOLD (TWO HANDS)
- You are seized by the left wrist, by two hands, as in Fig.
17, your opponent's thumbs being on top. Reach over and catch
hold of your hand with your right. Pull your left hand sharply
towards your body, against his thumbs (Fig. 18).
Note A. - The pressure on his thumbs, which is slightly upwards
and then downwards, will force him to release his hold immediately.
Note B. - Follow up with chin jab, edge-of-the-hand, or knee kick
to the testicles.
Should your opponent seize you as in Fig. 19 (his thumbs under-neath),
pass your right hand under and catch hold of your left hand as in
Fig. 20. Pull down sharply towards you.
NO. 6 - FROM A STRANGLE HOLD (ONE HAND)
You are seized by the throat, as in Fig. 21, and forced back against
- With a smashing blow with the edge of your right hand, strike
your opponent's right wrist towards your left-hand side. Follow
up with a knee kick to his testicles (Fig. 22).
NO. 6A - FROM A STRANGLE HOLD (TWO HANDS)
You are seized from in front by the throat, as in Fig. 23.
- With your left hand seize your opponent's right elbow from
underneath, your thumb to the right.
- With your right hand, reach over his arms and seize his right
wrist (Fig. 24).
- With your right arm apply pressure downwards on his left arm;
at the same time, with a circular upward morion of your left hand,
force his elbow towards your right side. This will break his hold
of your throat and put him off balance (Fig. 25).
- Keeping a firm grip with both hands, turn rapidly towards your
right-hand side by bringing your right leg to your right rear.
Follow up with edge-of-the-hand blow on his right elbow (Fig.
Note. - All the above movements must be one rapid and continuous
NO. 7 - FROM A BEAR HUG (FRONT. OVER THE ARMS)
are gripped around the waist (Fig. 27).
- Knee your opponent in the testicles.
- With the outer or inner edge of either boot, scrape his shin-bone
from about half way from the knee and follow through by stamping
on his instep.
- If, as a soldier, you are wearing a helmet, smash him in the
face with it.
- Seize his testicles with either hand.
NO. 7A - FROM A BEAR HUG (FRONT, OVER THE ARMS) Alternative
You are gripped around the waist (Fig. 27).
- If possible, bite his ear. Even though not successful, the
attempt will cause him to bend forward and into a posi-tion from
which you can seize his testicles with your right hand (Fig. 28).
- Reach over his arm with your left forearm (Fig. 29).
- Apply pressure on his right arm with your left (causing him
to break his hold), and force his head downwards. Smash him in
the face with your right knee (Fig. 30).
If necessary, follow up with edge-of-the-hand blow on back of his
Note. - Should your opponent anticipate..your intention when you
are in the position shown in Fig. 29 and resist the pressure of
your left arm, go after his eyes with your left hand as in Fig.
30A, and follow up with a knee to the testicles.