MI5 Russian 'spy' faces nine-month wait

• Published
Katia Zatuliveter
Image caption,
Miss Zatuliveter has said she is determined to fight the case

A former parliamentary aide arrested over claims she is a Russian spy must wait more than nine months to attempt to clear her name.

Katia Zatuliveter, 25, will not be able to challenge her deportation until a Special Immigration Appeals Commission (Siac) hearing starts on 18 October.

She appeared before a judge in London on Thursday, and remains on bail.

The Russian, who worked for Lib Dem MP Mike Hancock, was reportedly held on MI5 orders, citing national security.

Jonathan Glasson, representing Home Secretary Theresa May, said that a witness from the security services would be giving evidence during the four-day hearing in October.

Parts of the hearing are expected to be held behind closed doors.

'Truly Kafkaesque'

Miss Zatuliveter sat at the back of the court with her hands clasped.

She plans to challenge her bail conditions, which ban her from visiting Parliament or contacting Mr Hancock. She must also notify the home secretary if she meets anyone other than her immediate family and legal team.

Her solicitor Tessa Gregory said in December: "Katia's present situation is truly Kafkaesque.

"She has been arrested, detained and is now living under stringent bail conditions yet we still have no inkling as to the home secretary's case against her."

Mr Hancock has backed his former employee. The Portsmouth South MP has said he had no reason to believe she did anything but act honourably when she worked for him.

'Difficult situation'

Miss Zatuliveter began working for Mr Hancock in November 2006 as an intern and was given a pass to the House of Commons before becoming his full-time parliamentary assistant.

In a statement following her release on bail last month, she said: "I am not working for and have never worked for the Russian intelligence services."

She continued: "I have lost my job and am now looking for employment so that I can support myself but obviously given my situation it is very difficult.

"I do not understand why the deportation order has been made against me but I am determined to stay in the UK to fight to clear my name."

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.